Midway United Methodist Church is one of the oldest churches in Douglas County, Georgia. The church was established before the end of the Civil War, when a group of men and women met in the home of one of the members and formed the nucleus around which the church was organized. The group did not erect a church building at first, but met regularly about a mile from the location of the present church in a brush arbor.
This group formed the charter membership of the church when it was officially organized. They were Mr. and Mrs. J. S. Bobo, Mr. and Mrs. Hiram Bobo, Mr. and Mrs. Jack Bowen, Mr. and Mrs. Webster Bowen, Mr. and Mrs. Z. M. James, Mrs. and Mrs. F. M. Winn, Mr. and Mrs. George Prickett, Mr. and Mrs. Souther, and Mr. and Mrs. Pressley.
Following the Civil War, Mr. William N. McGouirk gave the young church land on which to construct a building for worship. This acreage is still the property of the church and is the site of the present building.
The deed for the land from Mr. McGouirk to the trustees of the church stated it was, “for the use and benefit of the members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.” The consideration was for the sum of one dollar and the property was to remain in the possession of the church, so long as the church remains a church, and if broken up said land to revert to the owner..and the church house to the trustees and the said William N. McGouirk.
Midway was founded in 1864, but the deed was first recorded in old Campbell County on December 30, 1889. It was later recorded in Douglas County when it was formed from parts of old Campbell and other counties on November 6, 1907.
The first church building erected by the original members, stood until 1905. At that time a new church was erected that was similar in construction to the original building. It was a one-room church and was typical of the country church buildings of that era.
This first church building stood pretty much as it was originally constructed until it was remodeled to include a porch and a single door instead of the two doors. A new roof was put on the building at this time, Sunday School rooms were built and a gas heater added. A new pulpit, alter, pulpit furniture and pews were added to make the church more comfortable and attractive.
The Sunday School annex, which was connected to the sanctuary, had three rooms and a kitchen, and was used by the children and youth departments. Sliding doors made it possible to convert the area into one large room for recreational purposes. It was also used as an assembly room and dining room.
In 1954, the building was brick veneered and a porch was added as a gift from the late Mr. B. R. Kirkley in memory of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. A. T. Kirkley. Other remodeling at this time included Sunday School rooms, a new pulpit chair, and the redecoration of the inside of the building by members and friends of the church. The WSCS also donated a piano during this time.
A parsonage was finally realized. It was a long-standing dream of Midway church members. This dream was accomplished by the donations of both money and materials. The actual beginning of the parsonage was when two men contributed the foundation through the sub-flooring. Several other people contributed trees and sawed them into lumber. Church organizations furnished the bathroom and stove. The tile was furnished by members and put down by friends of the church. The light fixtures and wiring were contributed by a member. A well and electric pump were also obtained and a neighboring church volunteered labor on several occasions. Many of the members met at night to panel the walls and woodwork. The parsonage was completed and first occupied in June 1953.
In 1962, a new educational building was built which included seven Sunday School rooms, a Nursery, three rest rooms and a church office. A basement was also added with complete kitchen and chairs. An organ was given by an anonymous donor in the fall of 1961.
Since 1962, paving, outdoor lights, a water cooler, several brick walls, an outside bulletin board, a freezer, and a new electrical system were added. A gift of grass and azaleas were to beautify the grounds. In 1965, black, decorative iron railings were given and placed around the porch.
Several years later the sanctuary was enlarged and carpeted, the pulpit was placed on the left, front side, a choir loft built, and indirect lighting, central heating, air conditioning and public address system installed.
One of the best known United Methodist ministers in the south, Dr. Robert Ozment of the Atlanta First United Methodist Church, conducted the fall revival in 1972.
In June 1973, Mrs. Rinnie Fargason presented the church with a deed for one acre of land to be used for the building a new parsonage. The new parsonage was built in 1975 on the site given.